U.S. Embraces May as EIM Month
May 2010 marked the third annual Exercise is Medicine Month, recognizing, emphasizing and celebrating on a national scale that exercise and physical activity are important to health and the prevention and treatment of many chronic diseases. The observance of May as EIM Month allowed physicians, health and fitness professionals, supporting organizations and constituents to identify and create awareness that exercise is, indeed, medicine. It also provided an opportunity for communities to get involved and spread the word about the benefits of exercise. Many people celebrated Exercise is Medicine Month this May and became more physically active and healthy.
Selected highlights of May 2010, Exercise is Medicine Month:
While May earns special attention as Exercise is Medicine Month, the gathering global momentum of the EIM initiative indicates that people worldwide are realizing every day the power of healthy lifestyles as preventive medicine.
- In the Tell Us Your Story section of the EIM Month Website (www.exerciseismedicinemonth.org), many individuals wrote in to describe their stories of how exercise changed their lives and positively affected their health. These stories can be read at the EIM website and the Exercise is Medicine Facebook page.
- Numerous states, cities, universities and other organizations supported the initiative by proclaiming that May is Exercise is Medicine Month.
- Exercise is Medicine Month gave away free seven-day guest passes to any Anytime Fitness facility to those who spread the word about EIM through their social media networks.
- An EIM Month e-mail series provided subscribers with helpful tips, ideas, resources, motivation and how-to tips. Ideas on becoming more active during the month of May and stay active all year were delivered twice a week and personalized for health care providers, fitness professionals and the public.
- Communities across the country held Exercise is Medicine Month events including community walks, proclamation-signing ceremonies and multi-organizational conferences on the benefits of physical activity.