10 Life and Leadership Lessons from the Patriots
By Ellie Eckhoff
Witnessing the amazing performance by the New England Patriots on Sunday and over the last several years, I realized that every business professional could learn many lessons from Coach Belichick and the team. Here are ten life and leadership lessons they regularly display that anyone can use:
Ellie Eckhoff is a Senior Vice President at ClearRock, a Boston-based Executive Coaching and Outplacement Firm.
- Team first - teams win together and lose together. Invest in and develop your players to bring out their best. Have one team goal and get all players working toward that goal.
- Inspirational leadership - put a “Brady-like” leader in front - people follow those they trust and respect. No trust, no respect = no super big wins.
- Personal accountability - make sure people know what is expected, have the skills and knowledge to do the work, and see how their work connects to the greater purpose of the team/organization.
- Mental toughness - it all starts inside. What you think, feel and believe about yourself and your teammates/co-workers shows up every day. Control what you can control – YOU!
- Perseverance - no matter what happens through the course of the game, it’s not over until the clock runs out.
- Commitment and preparation - do the work in practice so when game day comes, you have the physical stamina to play into overtime. Be strong, determined, confident, and play to the end.
- Agility - the Patriots know what to do in every situation. Great leaders adapt to the situation, challenges, and field conditions. Naysayers and politics are not invited on the field.
- Coaching culture - the best players have coaches. They know that working with a coach helps them be and do their best and is mission critical.
- Respect the opponents - without them, there is no competition. Acknowledge their strengths, speak positively about their abilities, and let your actions speak louder than your words.
- Acknowledge and celebrate - with all who helped make it happen!