This message was sent to ##Email##
|July 14, 2016 ||
SCAPTA is now accepting proposals for educational sessions that will be presented March 31 – April 1, 2017 at the 2017 Annual Conference in Greenville, South Carolina. Please fill out the attached form and send all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
|South Carolina therapists earn certification
The Specialist Certification program is happy to announce that 2,073 individuals have earned the status of newly certified clinical specialists in physical therapy in 2016. We'd like to recognize those from SC that recently achieved this accomplishment:
- Laura Rieker Baird, PT, NCS
- Amanda Baker, PT, DPT, GCS
- Jenna Leigh Bartsokas, PT, OCS
- Amber Lynn Benton, PT, DPT, ATP,NCS
- Maria Jocelyn Bozard, PT, CLT, GCS
- Micheal Shane Bushman, PT, OCS
- Courtney Ross Chaaban, PT, DPT,SCS
- Charlotte Austin Chatto, PT, PhD, NCS
- Jennifer Kyle Bawden Cooper, PT,NCS
- Patrick Richard Danielson, PT, DPT,ATC, OCS
- Theresa Ann Darden, PT, OCS
- Jeffery Peter Falini, PT, DPT, GCS
- Kristen Thayer Ferguson, PT, PCS
- Christopher Jordan Floyd, PT, DPT,ATC, CSCS, OCS
- Allison Jean Foster, PT, DPT, NCS
- Amber Rae Gadow, PT, DPT, PCS
- Travis Jonathan Gawler, PT, DPT,NCS
- Stacey Walerko Gray, PT, DPT, PCS
- Carol A. Haines, PT, MPT, CEEAA,GCS
- Wade Thomas Harrell, PT, OCS
- Elise Harris, PT, DPT, CSCS, OCS
- Laura Ann Keys, PT, OCS
- Bosung Kim, PT, OCS
- Jennifer Rogers King, PT, DPT, NCS
- Chong Ko, PT, DPT, OCS
- Katherine Marie McCollum, PT, DPT,
NTMC, CPST, PCS
- Lyle Oamil, PT, OCS
- David G. Ravnikar, PT, OCS
- William Oliver Reeside, PT, DPT,OMT-C, OCS
- Felicia Kaye Robinson, PT, GCS
- Dennis Lee Shay, PT, OCS
- Abbey Hilton Sullivan, PT, DPT, PCS
- Catherine Jefferson VanDerwerker, PT,DPT, NCS
- Damon Linthicum Woodley, PT, DPT,GCS
- Taryn A. Zack, PT, SCS
The APTA Section on Pediatrics Annual Conference (SoPAC) will be held November 11-13, 2016, at the Keystone Resort, Colorado. Five pre-conference courses (1/2 day to 2 days in length) will be held November 9-10. The 2016 SoPAC theme is: "Climb to New Peaks of Pediatric Excellence". SoPAC includes 17.75 hours of all-pediatric programming with concurrent sessions from all pediatric practice areas. The SoPAC Schedule-At-A-Glance and registration information can be accessed at www.sopac.us.
Physical Therapy Products
A study from Clemson University looking at the use of physical activity workstations versus traditional desks suggests positive effects from light physical activity without detracting from work or study effectiveness.
Clemson University psychology professor June J. Pilcher wished to determine whether or not the positive benefits from exercise could be achieved while working in a sedentary environment.
If you're considering going niche, you're not alone. According to the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists, there are more than 18,000 PTs who have demonstrated the clinical knowledge and advanced skills necessary to receive physical therapy specialist certification in their specific area of practice.
Varying levels of physical activity decreased the risk for developing new fatty liver and assisted in resolution of existing fatty liver within 5 years of follow up. "In short duration studies, lifestyle changes that have focused on diet and exercise modification have shown promise in decreasing liver fat as a manifestation of early disease in [non-alcoholic fatty liver disease]. However, guidelines from specialist societies regarding recommendations for amounts and intensity of exercise/physical activity in NAFLD are variable," Ki-Chul Sung, MD, PhD, from the division of cardiology and department of medicine at Kangbuk Samsung Hospital and Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea, and colleagues wrote.
The Medical News
Because of their low weight and premature birth, very low birth weight pre-term infants have lower bone mineral mass and a greater need for bone nutrients compared to most new-born infants. This places them at greater risk of osteopenia and fractures in later life.
While efforts to prevent osteopenia of prematurity have focused on nutritional therapy via intravenous or tube feeding, these, and other major advances in postnatal intensive care, have been only partially successful in improving improving the bone mineral mass of VLBW preterm infants. More recently, various studies have shown that the use of physical activity interventions &ndash' comprising a daily program of passive range-of-motion-assisted exercise of the large joints – have promising protective effects for bone strength and metabolism.
PT in Motion
A new study says that when it comes to physical therapist of adolescent athletes with acute spondylolysis, the sooner the better. According to researchers studying the medical charts of 196 adolescent athletes, patients whose physical therapy began fewer than 10 weeks after the injury were able to return to play almost 25 days sooner, on average, than those whose physicians required a wait of 10 weeks or more.
7701 Las Colinas Ridge, Ste. 800, Irving, TX 75063