ITNS Insider
Aug. 1, 2013

Reminder: ITNS offices are moving
Closed for business Aug. 1-4

ITNS
ITNS is moving its offices this week and will close on Thursday, 1 August at noon CST and will reopen for business Monday, 5 August. During this time, the online store and Members Only section of itns.org will be unavailable and the ITNS staff, including the Member Services team, will not be reachable by phone or email. However, we look forward to assisting you when we reopen on 5 August at 8 a.m. CST. Please contact us at 847.375.6340 or info@itns.org.More

Announcing a new award from ITNS: The Friend of Transplant Nursing Award
ITNS
Purpose: To recognize an individual outside the nursing profession who has supported the efforts of ITNS and made an impact in the field of transplant nursing. The Friend of Transplant Nursing Award will be presented at the Annual Symposium, during the Membership Meeting lunch on Monday, 23 September.

Submit a nomination today! All nominations must be received by 9 August, 2013. Nominations should be emailed to abegezda@itns.org.More

Your chance to save $50 ends 19 August!
ITNS
Register for the Annual ITNS Symposium before 19 August to save $50. Plan your trip and book your hotel arrangements by the 16 August deadline to get the discounted ITNS room rate. There are plenty of ways to save including symposium registration and airline reservations. Check the Annual ITNS Symposium webpage often for updates and additional information.More

Looking to share your expertise?
MultiBriefs
In an effort to enhance the overall content of the ITNS Insider, we'd like to include peer-written articles in future editions. As a member of ITNS, your knowledge of the industry lends itself to unprecedented expertise. And we're hoping you'll share this expertise with your peers through well-written commentary. Because of the digital format, there's no word or graphical limit and our group of talented editors can help with final edits. If you're interested in participating, please contact Ronnie Richard to discuss logistics.More

Taking rejection out of organ transplant operations
Medical Xpress
Organ transplant operations save lives. But for recipients, treatment does not end with an operation — they must take medication for the rest of their lives. The EU-funded project ONE Study is looking to change this through cell therapy — using cells themselves to stop a donor recipient's body from attacking the transplanted organ. More

Researchers suggest new model to make organ allocation more equitable
HUB
Using the same type of mathematical formulas used to draw political redistricting maps, Johns Hopkins researchers say they have developed a model that would allow for the more equitable allocation of livers from deceased donors for transplantation. Currently in the U.S., where you live dictates the availability of a liver transplant. According to researchers, studies show that geography can mean the difference between a 10 percent chance of dying while on the waiting list for a donor liver, and a 90 percent chance. More

Ethicist: Teens have high failure rates after organ transplants — but cut them some slack
NBC News
Remember the long fight over whether Sarah Murnaghan, the little 10-year-old girl from suburban Philadelphia who was dying from cystic fibrosis, should have a shot at getting a transplant from lungs taken from an adult? The fight hinged in part on whether there was sufficient evidence to show that adult lungs would work as well in Sarah, who is still struggling to recover from two lung transplants, as they would in another adult where they would fit better. Some argued that the best way to allocate scarce lungs for Sarah or anyone else is to determine who is most likely to live if they get them.More

Effects of ureteral stents on risk of bacteriuria in renal allograft recipients
Transplant Infectious Disease
Placement of ureteral stents at the time of renal transplantation is thought to decrease the incidence of postoperative complications, such as anastomotic leakage and stenosis. However, stents may also predispose to post-transplantation urinary tract infection, which can lead to increased risks of graft dysfunction, sepsis and death. The aim of this study was to analyze the risk of post-transplantation bacteriuria with ureteral stent placement in renal allograft recipients. More

Dispute over organ donation brings attention to defining death
The Columbus Dispatch
The death of 21-year-old Elijah Smith at Grant Medical Center this month and his family's dispute with Lifeline of Ohio over his organ donation has brought to the forefront questions about what constitutes death. Most doctors agree that a person has died when the brain ceases to perform its most essential functions, even if machines and medications keep the heart beating and the lungs delivering oxygen.More

Organ donation registration rates on the rise
The Toronto Star
Ontario has wait lists of approximately 1,500 people who need an organ transplant at any given time. But there is good news: Numbers of registered donors released by Trillium Gift of Life Network show that people in the GTA are starting to heed the call for organ and tissue donation. More

The important role of the nurse in the mobile health ecosystem
HIT Consultant
It seems as though the discussions around mobile health are increasing at an exponential rate. The technologies! The access to care! The consumer involvement! The physician tools! There are so many exciting possibilities offered by mobile health in the hospital, but the one corner we need to hear more from is nursing.More