PLACE Weekly Wrap-Up
Oct. 21, 2009

Make Money While Going "Green"
from Converting Magazine
Dante Ferrari of flexible-packaging converter Celplast Metallized Products details how his company is achieving the goal of "greener, more sustainable" packaging and making money at the same time. More

Making Sustainability Work
from Flexible Packaging Magazine
Many flexible packaging converters and suppliers want to scream if they hear or see that dreaded "S" word just one more time. Sustainability. If you've been around the packaging industry for any measurable amount of time, you're familiar with the outbreak of the buzzword. In fact, you're probably also familiar with a basic question surrounding this increasingly popular trend: what is sustainability, anyway? More

Berry Plastics Buying Pliant Corporation
from Canadian Plastics
Injection molder and thermoformer Berry Plastics has announced plans to buy Pliant Corporation after Pliant emerges from bankruptcy. According to a press release from Evansville, Ind.-based Berry Plastics, the company will get 25 percent of the equity of Pliant as part of a U.S. Bankruptcy Court-approved reorganization plan, and then acquire the remaining 75 percent of the common stock available. More

SIG Buys Reynolds Packaging Businesses
from Plastics News
Beverage Packaging Holdings (Luxembourg) III sarl, a holding company of SIG Holding AG, said Oct. 15 that it will buy Richmond, Va.-based Reynolds Packaging Group's consumer products and closure systems international businesses, in deals worth $3 billion. More

Polyprint Sharpens Up its Act With Bag-making Investment
from Plastics & Rubber Weekly
Mailing film and polythene envelope manufacturer Polyprint Mailing Films, a finalist at the recent PRW Plastic Industry Awards, has made a substantial investment in a Hudson Sharpe bag-making machine widening the range of services it can deliver in-house. More

Henkel's Labeling Adhesives Meet Industry Concerns
from Packaging Magazine
Guaranteeing ice water resistance for labeling adhesives and providing expert solutions for difficult substrate applications are the main concerns for beverage and bottling customers, says leading global adhesives supplier, Henkel. More

Pack Expo Selects The Winners Are In
from Packaging World
Results are in for the 2009 Pack Expo Selects Competition, and the prize goes to Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets, submitted by Robbie Flexibles. Printpack's Body Glove water filtration was a very close second, and Lloyd's Barbeque, from Airlite Plastics Co, took third. More

Battenfeld Launches Standard Thermoforming Sheet Lines
from European Plastics News
German machinery maker Battenfeld Extrusionstechnik has developed a new line of standardized thermoforming sheet lines for inline processing applications. Based on the bespoke high speed systems the company has supplied in the past, the new series is designed for PP, PS, ABS or PLA film and sheet extrusion and consists of an extruder and polishing stack. More

Bag-in-box Wine Gets Space-saving Upgrade from Constellation
from Packaging News UK
Winemaker Constellation Europe has tackled the challenge of housing bulky bag-in-box packs in the fridge with the launch of the new FreshCase pack. The FreshCase holds 2.25l, the equivalent of three bottles of wine, but only takes up the space used by one of its glass counterparts. More